SIOP 2018: 10 Great Preconference Workshops: Plus an All-New Individual Leadership Assessment Course!
Gavan O'Shea and Rob Silzer
Save the date! Wednesday, April 18, 2018, is the day that the SIOP preconference workshops will be held at the Sheraton Grand Chicago. Gain hands-on experience with cutting-edge I-O topics from the field's leading experts, network with your colleagues, and socialize at our premier evening reception! The Workshop Committee surveyed recent workshop attendees to identify their pressing professional development needs and through that process identified a diverse selection of innovative and timely topics to offer this year—as well as a spectacular set of experts to lead these workshops. We’ll also be offering a flexible half-day attendance option again this year.
The lineup of our stellar workshops includes:
- Storytelling With Impact: Mastering the Practical Science of Influential Communication. Amy Grubb, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI); Evan Sinar, DDI
- Glimpses of Personality Everywhere: Looking Beyond Self-Report Assessments. Eric Heggestad, University of North Carolina Charlotte; Lynn McFarland, University of South Carolina; Maynard Goff, Korn Ferry Institute
- Beyond Evaluation Levels: Building Value Using Learning and Development Data. Kurt Kraiger, Colorado State University; Eric Surface, ALPS Solutions
- How to Use Advanced Technologies for Employee Selection (and Feel Good About It!). Charles Handler, Rocket-Hire LLC; Shawn Bergman, Appalachian State University; Ben Taylor, Ziff.ai/HireVue
- Successfully Transitioning High-Potential Employees to First-Time Managers. Bill Gentry, Independent Consultant; Cindy McCauley, Center for Creative Leadership (CCL)
- Modern Analytics for Data Big and Small. Dan Putka, HumRRO; Richard Landers, Old Dominion University
- Could You Pass Comps in 2018? Research Practitioners Need to Know About. Ann Marie Ryan, Michigan State University; Charlotte Powers, Johnson & Johnson
- How to Put the Manager Back in Talent Management. Erica Desrosiers, Johnson & Johnson; Sarah Evans, Walmart; Ken Oehler, Aon
- Leadership Development Programs: Current State and State of the Art. Jeff McHenry, Rainier Leadership Solutions; Allan Church, PepsiCo
- The Changing Landscape of Employee Surveys: Emerging Solutions to Recurring Challenges. Bill Macey, CultureFactors, Inc., Will Shepherd, The Wendy’s Corporation
New Individual Leadership Assessment Course
The Workshop Committee in close collaboration with the Professional Practice Committee is offering a new professional development course on individual leadership assessment at the 2018 Chicago SIOP conference.
This is a pilot effort that, based on interest and support, may lead to additional modules being offered.
- Leadership Assessment Process and Development. Course Module 1
(half day, am only). Provide an overview of leadership assessment including identifying relevant job dimensions and competencies, designing a leadership assessment process, setting and managing the assessment process, and ensuring participant engagement.
Leaders – Rob Silzer, Sandra Davis, Vicki Vandaveer
- Leadership Assessment Interviewing. Course Module 2 (half day, pm only). Provide a review of critical assessor skills including conducting effective leadership assessment interviews, and learning advanced interviewing skills.
Leaders -- Rob Silzer, John Fulkerson, Andrea Hunt
This course is designed for SIOP members who are eligible for psychologist licensing, because individual psychological assessment falls under most state licensing regulations. Further information about this course will be provided in forthcoming SIOP announcements before registration opens. Any questions should be directed to Rob Silzer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Develop your individual leadership assessment skills and expertise.
- Learn how to conduct assessments from leading assessment experts
- Improve your skills in using assessment data to accurately predict potential.
- Increase your awareness of best practices in leadership assessment.
Please look for more detailed descriptions of the workshops and the new individual leadership assessment course in future TIP issues, the preconference announcement, and on the SIOP website when conference registration opens!
The 2017–2018 Workshop Committee consists of:
Gavan O’Shea, HumRRO (Committee Chair)
Ramzi Baydoun, Abbott Labs
Melissa Harrell, Google
Jaron Holmes, U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM)
Megan Leasher, Macy’s, Inc.
Don Lustenberger, DDI
Alyson Margulies, US Foods
Rob Michel, Edison Electric Institute (EEI)
Brooke Orr, Coca-Cola
Christopher Rosett, Comcast Cable
Carra Sims, Rand Corporation
Neha Singla, Gartner
Steve Stark, University of South Florida (USF)